How to Remove Snow From Trex Decking? Snowfalls, freezing temperatures, and ice storms continue to batter Brantford and its environs, making it more critical than ever to prepare your composite deck before the storm arrives to avoid damage and retain the integrity of your outdoor space.
If your deck is structurally strong, it should be able to withstand the weight of around three feet of snow, but you should be aware of the best procedures for snow and ice removal, bearing in mind that safety is our top priority.
The Fundamentals of Ice and Snow Removal
If there is only a little covering of snow on the ground, a leaf blower is one of the simplest ways to clear your deck. When clearing snow or ice from your composite or PVC deck, never use metal shovels or sharp-edged tools.
Scratches and gouges can happen to even the toughest boards. To quickly remove snow from the deck, use plastic shovels or plastic/nylon bristled deck brooms, which will reduce the chance of scratches to the deck’s surface.
The Quick Solution:
- Trex Universal Clip 500 SQFT
- Self-gapping hardware is the main fastener component that attaches two Trex boards together.
- Features a stainless steel deck screw already set in the fastener for increased durability and easier installation.
- For wood deck framing.
- BRINGS BACK THE BEAUTY. Patented, plant-based ingredients, restores original color to chalky & oxidized PVC decks
- RESTORES NATURAL STAIN RESISTANCE. Brings back the natural stain fighting ability of your PVC deck.
- MANUFACTURER RECOMMENDED! Use on Azek, Timbertech, Veka, Wolf, Fiberon, Gorilla and more!
- COMPLETE KIT NEW TO AMAZON: Includes zero VOC deck cleaner, E2 PVC Deck Revitalizer, high performance deck brush, gloves & temperature strip. (Half Gallon E2 Covers 500 Sq Ft PVC Deck)
- PREMIUM CONCENTRATED FORMULA – Cleans an impressive 1500 Sq.Ft. Developed for professionals now available to everyone.
- BRUSH INCLUDED! – We included a high quality, natural bristle brush to make this the perfect kit for your wood or composite deck!
- DESIGNED FOR USE ON – Timbertech, Trex, Fiberon and all composite and wood decking.
- ZERO VOC’s – Free of volatile organic compounds! NO SOLVENTS – Free of any harmful solvents!
- ELIMINATES STAINS – This powerful, concentrated composite and wood cleaner is specifically formulated to remove environmental black and green staining on composite and wood decking. In addition it releases ground in dirt and grease from your composite or wood decking, making it look squeaky clean!
- On-top of joists installation – Keep framing and under deck area dry – Heavy Duty 30 mil thick black lldpe
- Easy to install – 1. Staple on top of joists 2. Self sealing tape over joints 3. Screw downspouts to water evacuation holes.
- Material cost under $ 2/s.f. (Goberco trough is about $1.2/s.f., self sealing joist tape is about $0.4/s.f. , regular downspout + plastic gutter + roofing screws are low cost).
- Save Time / Reduce Leaks – Fold against house wall for flashing (reduce leaks at ledger board) – Deep channel valley between joists – Regular downspout redirect water flow into a gutter (prevent water dripping / no special downspout needed). U.S. patent # 9,453,338
- Heavy-duty boot and shoe brush cleans mud, dirt, snow, gravel, rock, leaves, grass, sand, and other debris from all types of footwear
- Two side brushes and two bottom brushes remove caked-on messes from boot and shoe soles and uppers, saving floors and carpets from debris
- Scrubber can be easily mounted onto any flat surface in a garage, mud room, or work area; ideal for use at farms and ranches, job sites, and home
- Frame is manufactured from rot-resistant composite plastic and steel; heavy-duty plastic brush bristles flex to accommodate narrow to wide footwear
- Scraper brush frame measures 4.72 x 4.53 x 9.45 inches, brush opening measures 3.25 inches, weighs 3.31 pounds; includes mounting hardware
- NATIVE PLUGINS: OBS Studio, Streamlabs (Windows), Twitch, Ecamm, vMix, Spotify, Adobe Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro, Photoshop and more – each include ready-made profiles to make getting started easy!
- YOUR STUDIO CONTROL CENTER: 1 – Control your stream, chat, audio, mic, and lighting. 2 – Control your desktop, launch media, apps, and websites. 3 – Speed up your editing and color-grading with Dials – automatically switch between apps and profiles using a dynamic interface.
- LOUPEDECK MARKETPLACE: Download profiles, plugins, icon & sound packs from a continuously growing library of 200+ items, including Microsoft Flight Simulator, Twitch Studio, Light Control Plugins for Philips Hue, Nanoleaf, Razer and Elgato, Voicemod, GoXLR, Voicemeeter, Davinci Resolve Color Panel, Notion and many more.
- POWERFUL CUSTOMIZATION SOFTWARE: Create up to 14 pages of controls for Touch Buttons and Dials, activated with a simple swipe. Expand the functionality with Custom Actions — create complex macros (triggering several commands at once), multi-toggle actions, rotary adjustments, and more.
- ENHANCED TACTILE CONTROL: Live S features LED Touch-Sensitive Buttons with haptic feedback, analog dials with press functionality and customizable RGB Buttons.
- EDGE Clips are for 90° grooved deck installations with wood, composite, capped composite, and PVC
- One-pass fastening—no partial installation is required
- Up to 88% stronger than leading deck board manufacturer’s clips in lateral movement tests
- Fasten EDGE Clips with the included NEVER-MISS Guide or with the CAMO DRIVE stand-up tool using a drill—do not use an impact driver
- 900 count covers approximately 500 square feet (joist spacing of 16 inches); creates a 3/16-inch gap
- Eliminate the need for compressors, generators or power to run fastening equipment
- Slash the setup time
- Eliminate cord and hose maintenance and tangle
- Reduce tripping and electrical shock hazards
- Includes two 5.0-amp hour lithium-ion batteries and charger
- Use to clean stains caused by moss or algae, or other organic debris from your composite decking
- As you spray the Spray n Clean on your deck you will see instantly that the stains are disappearing
- Spray and Clean Composite Deck Cleaner is safe, effective and couldn’t be easier to use
- Works on Tre, Timber tech and all major brands of composite decking
- No scrubbing, just apply and saturate the decking, the chemicals do all the work
- STRAIGHTEN WARPED BOARDS – Strong enough to straighten any warped board—from unruly pressure treated to dense hardwood
- FASTER INSTALLATION – Speeds up grooved deck installations. Lock-in rows of boards and clips to quickly fasten
- ADJUSTABLE – Tool adjusts to single, double, and metal joists for maximum job site versatility
- REDUCES EFFORT – Multi-directional handle sets in one turn, providing powerful torque with minimal effort
- UNIVERSAL USE – Works with any deck board, and for the best clip installation, use 2–4 across the length of the deck
Last update on 2023-05-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Always shovel in a route parallel to the deck boards, not perpendicular to them, when clearing snow. When you remove snow crosswise, you’re much more likely to grab the edge of the composite board and harm it.
How to Remove Snow From Trex Decking
Snow and ice Removal Fundamentals:
A leaf blower is one of the simplest ways to clear your deck if there is only a little covering of snow. When clearing snow and ice from your composite or PVC deck, never use metal shovels or sharp-edged tools.
Scratches and gouges can occur even on the most durable boards. To remove snow from the deck, use plastic shovels or plastic/nylon bristled deck brooms to avoid scratching the surface.
Always shovel in a route parallel to the deck planks rather than perpendicular to them while clearing snow. When removing snow crosswise, the risk of catching the composite board’s edge and causing damage increases significantly.
Man, stay away from the sand.
Sand should not be used on a composite deck since it can scrape the deck surfaces unnecessarily due to foot traffic.
The easiest way to remove snow off the deck while minimizing the risk of damaging the deck surface is to use a robust plastic shovel and/or a plastic/nylon bristles deck broom. Always follow the grain of the boards when clearing snow.
You can help reduce the amount of snow weight transported during each pass by pushing snow away from the furthest point and working backward to the front door. Homeowners should use a calcium-chloride-based product to clear a route and create a more stable environment for walking to eliminate a build-up of ice and snow.
Debris from ice melt cleanup
When the threat of bad weather has gone, sweep up any remaining granular particles with a broom and dispose of the ice melt. This can keep people and pets from unknowingly tracking ice melt into your home, potentially damaging your flooring.
Water and a mild scrubbing with a non-metal deck brush can be used to remove any remaining ice melt buildup. We recommend cleaning your deck with a garden hose once the weather warms up to get rid of any obstinate debris.
Maintain the condition of your deck year after year. If your deck is ever damaged, or if you’d want more information on how to keep your composite deck in good shape.
Cleaning in the Spring
When the weather warms up, make a point of rinsing away any leftover residue with warm water or, if necessary, a garden hose. Composite decking, which is made from a blend of polypropylene plastic and hardwood fibers, is not only more durable and easier to install than PT timber decking, but it will also withstand harsh winter weather conditions.
Remove any loose debris from your deck.
During the fall, homeowners should be careful about sweeping the deck of any loose debris, such as leaves, pine needles, and twigs, to help moisture find its way off of a composite deck. This prevents any potential obstructions in cracks and crevices.
Many people have deck spaces that act as entryways to their homes. If this is the situation with your home, there will come a moment when it will be required to clear ice and snow so that people can walk across it safely.
One thought on “How to Remove Snow From Trex Decking”
Comments are closed.